Sunday, June 22, 2014

Learning From Movies



Friday night, I watched Jersey Boys. What a great movie! Clint Eastwood picked another winner. I remembered the songs from my childhood and was surprised I knew the lyrics. Of course the story wouldn't have been made into a movie if the group didn't have hurdles to overcome and drama behind the scenes. I'm not sure if Jersey Boys will appeal to a younger crowd, but I hope so.

Although the songs are still playing in my mind, I did find lessons in the story that also apply to writers.
First, Frankie Valli kept working on improving his ability. No matter what you want to accomplish in life, you need to keep working toward your goal.

Second, he stayed true to his voice. No one sang like him. That can be good or bad, depending on what your audience wants. He could have tried to alter his singing style, but he had faith in his talent. Writers need to learn this lesson. Don't try to emulate Nora Roberts or Stephen King. Find your voice and let it work for you.

Finally, Frankie found a songwriter who could produce hits. Once you find your voice, write the story that will appeal to an audience. Analyze the stories and movies you like. What is it about them that appeals to you? I'm not saying to follow the trends. Do you enjoy a mystery element in a story? Or perhaps taking a fairy tale and twisting it? What about crazy relatives? Use what appeals to you to bring out the story that you want to share with the world. Odds are if you love your story, someone else will, too.

Until next week,
happy reading and writing.
Tina Swayzee McCright


No comments: