Sunday, April 13, 2014

Increasing Your Productivity


If you ask my writing friends what they would like to improve in their writing, many would say the number of books they complete each year. We all want to be like Jennifer Ashley, who writes more than most of us combined. We know it takes determination, and although the mind is willing, the body is weak. What can we do change this?

At our last Valley of the Sun Romance Writer's meeting, Lexi Post spoke on this issue. She had us write down what our writing style included. Mine varies. I am more productive if I leave the house and go to Barnes and Noble. Being around books while I sip on my white chocolate mocha inspires me. A location away from home also removes distractions like the TV and dirty dishes in the sink. After a few hours, I can no longer function and need to get away. I also need to walk around. I usually go home, feeling like I accomplished a great deal, but still have more to do. At this point, I may edit while watching TV. This is not going to increase my productivity. Next time, I'll walk the mall and then try writing either at the food court or another eating establishment. Jennifer writes at one location in the morning and another in the afternoon.

My other obstacle is weeknight exhaustion. I have a full-time, high-stress job. Once I'm home, I'm beat. If I sit down at the dining room table with a bottle of Starbucks mocha and a snack, I can write for about an hour. Then I can follow up later with edits in front of the TV. You might have caught onto my major flaw: relaxing in front of the TV. I need to save it as a reward for a successful writing day.

I have a lot to work on this year, so I will continue to try various methods of improving my productivity and let you know how it went.

Until next week,
happy reading and writing.
Tina Swayzee McCright


No comments: