Sunday, July 22, 2012

Recipe for Dieting



I am glad to report I am still on my modified version of The South Beach Diet and still losing. I'm not very good at eating vegetables, so I decided to cook something up. In the book they have a recipe for cherry tomatoes with mozzarella stick pieces heated up inside. I don't know where I saw a variation with mushrooms and couldn't find the recipe. This is my version. I enjoyed them and hope you will, too.

Ingredients to make 6:

6 Portabella (aka Portobello) Mushrooms
1 Tomato, cut into 6 slices
3 Mozzarella Low Fat Cheese Sticks
Parsley Flakes if desired


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
I used a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil, but only because I hate to clean. It takes away from writing time.

 First, I sliced the caps off the mushrooms, brushed olive oil on top, and heated for 7 minutes on the side with the oil facing up and 2 on the other. You can change this how you see fit.

Next, I placed a tomato slice on top of each mushroom, and then mozzarella on the very top. I had to slice cheese sticks because that is all I had available. You can use shredded mozzarella or slices.

I baked them for 10 minutes, but they are done when the cheese is melted.
Optional: I sprinkled parsley flakes on top for added color.

1 comment:

H.D. Thomson said...

Thanks for the recipe! I love tomatoes and mozzarella. I've never tried them with mushrooms but what a great idea!