Sunday, July 29, 2012

Basted Omelet



I'm still plugging away on my South Beach Diet. I admit I cheated last night with half a cup of ice cream, but still managed to lose that elusive pound that wouldn't drop. My favorite meal while on Phase One of the plan has been omelets.

I admit, I am not good at flipping omelets, so I came up with my own way of preparing them. While the egg mixture is cooking, I baste the egg to cook on top, by placing two teaspoons of water around the edge of the pan and then covering. I used a rather large pan, which does not have a lid, so I place two pieces of aluminum foil over the top. Once the egg is cooked, I sprinkle the cheese on top, recover, and let the cheese melt.

Basted Omelets
2 servings

Ingredients:  (Sometimes I only use ham and cheese.)

1/4 cup diced green bell pepper
1/3 cup diced lean ham - I used luncheon meat that I cut with kitchen scissors.
1/4 diced tomato
1 cup of low fat, shredded, sharp cheddar cheese
3 eggs or egg substitute
1 tsp. Canola oil

Saute the bell pepper over medium heat, in 1 tsp. of oil, in a large pan, and then set aside in a small bowl.
Add the diced ham and tomato to the bowl.and set aside.
Beat 3 eggs with a fork in a different bowl and pour into the same pan heated at a medium temp.
Baste the eggs as described above. Add the cheese and melt as described above.
While the cheese is melting, microwave the bell pepper, ham, and tomato for 40 seconds, and then sprinkle over one half of the pan. I'm not good at flipping omelets, so I cut a slit through the middle of the side without  the ham mixture, so I am folding one quarter of the omelet over the mixture and then the remaining quarter. You should now have an omelet similar to the one pictured above.


No comments: