Sunday, May 20, 2012

Giving Back


During the holidays we are reminded of our many blessings and how we can give back as a way of saying thank you. Yesterday, I spent the morning with work colleagues at a retirement breakfast and listened to a story one of my friends told. I was amazed by how much she does to help those in need every month of the year. She is amazing and, yes, she made me feel guilty. I reminded myself that I have worked at a school in a low income area for twenty years, I give at church, and give to charities, but it didn't seem like enough next to her efforts.

Later that day, my husband had an appointment to give blood. I decided to join him and discovered, thanks to their computer records, I hadn't given since 1992. I know there is a big need for blood donations, but I always seemed to busy to drive three miles down the road to their center. I felt worse when I watched my husband jump when he saw the needle. He hates needles and yet he gives on a regular basis. I, on the other hand, don't mind needles much and have a great vein. It also didn't take long to complete the donation. I decided then that I would donate next to my husband from now on. The woman who checked me in called it our date. It was probably the best date we've been on since we were helping others.

I encourage you to take time from your busy schedule to give blood, and better yet, make it a date with your significant other.

No comments: