Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Vive LasVegas Part 2-The Name Game

Kim Watters here. I took my kids to Las Vegas over Spring Break. Yes, I know, a great place for kids. Actually it can be, if you look at it as a learning experience, first by telling them to ignore all the little postcards on the ground, and then by talking to your kids about the reason why Vegas is there in the first place. And it’s not about all the free shows, lights, and the action.

My son learned first hand at the Midway inside Circus Circus. Yes, folks, Vegas is in the business of making money, not giving it out. A hard lesson for my preteen son who dropped his entire 20 dollars on one game and left empty-handed. I fared a little better by whacking a rubber chicken into the empty pot. Okay, I couldn’t resist. First time I’ve ever won anything at a carnival. And I have to admit—it was fun!

I digress though and what this blog is really about. Actually, I’m still trying to figure that one out but here’s a funny story that, unlike the “What happens in Vegas is supposed to stay in Vegas”…….I couldn’t help but share.
So let me set the scene. I haven’t been to Vegas in over a decade and I’m not familiar with the roads. It’s cloudy and windy and ready to rain any minute. I’m also trying to listen to my GPS to tell me what road to exit, so I’m not looking at the billboards, only the reflection from my white knuckles gleaming on the wheel.

My son’s voice pops up from the back seat. “Wow, it costs a dollar to take a crap in this town?”

I grab the wheel a little tighter, and try to control my laughter. I honestly have no idea what he’s talking about because I’m concentrating on driving. “Excuse me? What are you talking about?” I say in my most dignified voice.

“That billboard over there. It says dollar craps.”

Okay, I couldn’t stop help myself. I burst out laughing when I realized what he was talking about. I guess we were going to have that talk a little earlier than planned.

So what’s with the name? I googled it and found several different versions for how it could be. English crabs, crab apples. Crapaud? Interesting. I guess there could be worse names but seriously, they could have picked a better one. But then again, all those years ago, the word probably didn't have the same meaning it does today. So when you're deciding character names, or what to call your children, be careful and mindful of the future.

No comments: