Friday, April 20, 2012

Interview with Gini Koch

I’d like to welcome our guest today, Gini Koch. It’s a pleasure having you come visit us at Much Cheaper Than Therapy, where chocolate is plentiful and advice is free. So grab some chocolate and a lounge chair. Your therapy session has begun.

Thanks, it’s great to be back! Especially because y’all hand out the chocolate freely.

I understand you have a new release out called Alien Diplomacy. Can you tell us a little bit about your fabulous new book?

It’s the best book in the best series ever written and a deal at twice the price! (Hey, you still can not blame a girl for trying.)

The Alien series follows the exploits of Katherine “Kitty” Katt, who discovers that the Roswell rumors are true, but with a twist -- the aliens are here to help us and, as a side benefit, they’re all gorgeous. Kitty first gets involved helping save the world from parasitic superbeings. As the series progresses, Kitty gets deeper into Centaurion Division, and discovers that there’s a lot more evil out there to fight, and a wide variety of conspiracies to prevent and disrupt, with dangers both internal and extremely external to guard against.

In Alien Diplomacy, being newlyweds and new parents is challenging enough for Kitty and her Alpha Centaurion husband, Jeff. But nothing’s ever easy for the Katt-Martinis, particularly not when they have to switch from being super-being exterminators and Commanders in Centaurion Division to mastering the political landscape as the new heads of American Centaurion’s Diplomatic Corps.

Kitty’s brand of diplomacy and lobbying isn’t quite as smooth as Jeff’s—Washington parties, lobbyists of all stripes, and politicians from all states and countries present challenges a well-stocked iPod and quirky sense of humor aren’t always up to handling. But when a shadowy assassination plot and a new set of anti-alien conspirators are identified, Kitty’s the diplomat for the job—in between “Mommy and Me,” “Diplomacy for Beginners,” and the dreaded “Washington Wife” classes.

As explosions, assassination attempts, and murders pile up, the question shifts from “who’s the target” to “will we all survive to see next week”?

Armed with only their wits, and dressed to kill, it’s up to Kitty and the Diplomatic Corps to stop the bad guys from unleashing mayhem on all the world’s leaders. But will Kitty trust the right people, at the right times, or will going her own way prove deadly—not just to her, but to her daughter, Jamie?

What was different for you in writing Alien Diplomacy than the other books in the series so far?

In Alien Diplomacy, everyone’s dealing with a lot of change, and most of them aren’t dealing with it all that well, Kitty in particular. What was different, and what’s pretty much Alien Diplomacy’s main theme, is change -- not just for one character, but for all the characters. How do you handle being moved into jobs you don’t want, weren’t thinking you were ready to move to, that turn out to be completely different than expected, or a combination thereof? Every character in the book is experiencing major change in some way, so they’re all dealing, and not everyone’s dealing with it well. But then, that’s the fun, isn’t it? If everyone handled all things perfectly, why would we want to read about it?

Any Alien Diplomacy teasers you can share?

We see the return of some of my personal favorite supporting characters from an earlier book, who I’m really excited to have back in, and they affect things in a big, big way. And, for those who’ve been wondering when, if ever, they’d get an answer about what’s going on in Paraguay, that answer begins in earnest in this book.

We understand you have a new series coming from Night Shade Books -- Alexander Outland: Space Pirate, which you wrote as G.J. Koch, is releasing this June. Can you tell us a little about that?

Trouble’s brewing out in space, and Alexander Outland -- the least likely hero in the galaxy -- and his eccentric crew have to save the day, despite the fact they’d prefer to take the money and run.

Alexander Outland: Space Pirate is science fiction set in the far future, with a lot of humor, action, mystery, and romance. I think readers who like Kitty & Company, are going to love the Outland and his crew. I think of it as Han Solo meets Pirates of the Caribbean.

What’s something most readers don’t know about you?

Oh, lots of things probably. LOL I’d say one of the more random and little known things is that while I grew up in Southern California and have spent the last decade and a half plus in Arizona, more frequently than not I’m asked if I’m from Pennsylvania. Apparently I sound like I come from PA and always have. This is made odder by that fact that no one in my family has lived in Pennsylvania, ever. So, I’m Californian by birth, Arizonan by choice, and Pennsylvanian by voice.

What do we have to look forward next?

“Being Neighborly”, the next novelette in my series, The Neighborhood (writing as Anita Ensal) released from Musa Publishing March 23rd, and Alien Diplomacy released from DAW Books/Penguin April 3rd. Alexander Outland: Space Pirate releases from Night Shade Books on June 5, 2012 (writing as G.J. Koch), Alien vs. Alien releases from DAW Books December 4, 2012, with Alien in the House coming April 2013, and Alien Collective coming Dec. 2013.

I also have the Martian Alliance Chronicles from Musa Publishing which is a series of short stories & novellas -- “The Royal Scam” is out now, and the second installment, “Three Card Monte”, will be out soon. Soon-ish,. Okay, maybe mid-2012. But it‘s coming, I swear! (Yeah, Musa’s waiting on me for this one, not the other way around.)

As we know, I write under a variety pen names. “The Disciple” and “Hotter Than Hell” by Jemma Chase; “Contingency Plan” by Anita Ensal; and “When Josie Comes Home” and “Deacon’s Ark” by A.E. Stanton are novelettes and novellas available right now from Musa Publishing. And my full bibliography is up at my website via my Author Splash page (http://www.ginikoch.com/authorsplash.htm).

Thanks, Gini!

To celebrate her book release, Gini Koch is offering a free book of winner’s choice of either Touched by an Alien, Alien Tango or Alien in the Family to one lucky commenter on today's blog. (please check the blog Monday night to see if you won. Chances of winning determined by the number of entries.)


She will be around all day today. I'm sure some of you have questions or comments for her, so please ask away...


Bio.
Gini Koch lives in Hell’s Orientation Area (aka Phoenix, AZ), works her butt off (sadly, not literally) by day, and writes by night with the rest of the beautiful people. She writes the fast, fresh and funny Alien/Katherine “Kitty” Katt series for DAW Books and the Martian Alliance Chronicles series for Musa Publishing. She also writes under a variety of pen names (including G.J. Koch, Anita Ensal, Jemma Chase, A.E. Stanton, and J.C. Koch), listens to rock music 24/7, and is a proud comics geek-girl willing to discuss at any time why Wolverine is the best superhero ever (even if Deadpool does get all the best lines). She also speaks frequently on what it takes to become a successful author and other aspects of writing and the publishing business.

You can find Gini at her:
Website: http://www.ginikoch.com
Blah, Blah, Blah Blog: http://ginikoch.blogspot.com/
Twitter: @GiniKoch
Facebook: facebook.com/Gini.Koch
Facebook Fan Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hairspray-and-Rock-n-Roll-Kicking-Evil-Alien-Butt-since-2010-GINI-KOCH
Alien Collective Virtual HQ/Official Fan Site: http://aliencollectivehq.com/

Buy Touched by an Alien, Alien Tango, Alien in the Family, Alien Proliferation, or Alien Diplomacy by Gini Koch, and Alexander Outland: Space Pirate, by G.J. Koch, at any bookstore or online. Buy the majority of her other works from Musa Publishing (http://www.musapublishing.com/), or go to her Author Splash page (http://www.ginikoch.com/authorsplash.htm) for specific pen names and selected works.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good morning Gini. Thanks for joining us again today. Your chocolate is ready as soon as I wrestle it away from the cats. I like your twist about the Roswell incident, which is on my bucket list of places to visit, and how they are friendly. My kids and I like to watch Alien Encounters when we have the time. Interesting.........Can't wait to see your fresh take on everything. Sine you write in so many genres and under a variety of pen names, how do you keep it all straight? Thanks again for joining us and have a great day.

Donna Del Grosso said...

Hi Ladies!
Gini I'm glad Alien Diplomacy won't be void of explosions, fights, and an awesome heroine. Can't wait to see how Kitty is going to kick aliens in the teeth while trying to hold her sassy tongue. That's what we love about her most...
Good Luck with the newest. No need to put me in drawing....... I have them all!

Laurie Schnebly Campbell said...

Gini, I'm awed by how many intriguing worlds you create...all without having ever been to Pennsylvania! (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Alien Diplomacy sounds like fun; I like seeing Kitty faced with such an alien world. :)

Estella said...

How do you keep your writing personas separated?

miki said...

Hi Gini,

happy to see you here. I think April and december will become my favorite month if if in these that we get a new kitty book each year ^^

Do you think they will have also some opportunity for international to win Alexander Outland: Space Pirate because the one i saw so far are only Us and i really hope to read it one day.

all the best

Gini Koch said...

@Kim - I'll take the cats along WITH the chocolate. :-D As for keeping things straight, well...that's just how my mind works. I realize that's kind of a lame answer, but it's all I've got. LOL

@Donna - oh, no book in the Alien series will be devoid of explosions, fights, or Kitty. :-D

@Laurie - I've actually been to PA, but only for vacations/visits, I've never lived there. ;-D And yeah, it's definitely a scarier situation for Kitty than any regular fugly fighting.

@Estella - I just sort of do. LOL, like I said to Kim, it's how my mind works. I gave each pen name their own persona (including looks and family tree) in my mind, so when I go to write from "them" it's easier to switch gears. Sort of like Method Acting, only it's Method Writing. :-D

@Miki - hoping to keep you in Kitty books for the foreseeable future! Most publishers won't send internationally because it's so costly, so that's why current giveaways are U.S. only. I can't remember if I get author copies or not, but if I do, then I'll be able to open some contests to international.

Anne said...

I'm interested in seeing how Kitty combines motherhood and alien a$$kicking. And if Jamie will have any alien special powers.

BTW loved the baby's name, made so much sense. Plus I like the name, one of my late cats was Jaime.

NoraA said...

Hi Gini,
Once my main computer is back from the shop and all the software reinstalled... I need to send you a copy of all the titles I have from the Gold and Silver Age of sci fi. I have books on my shelves from the '50's, and 40's. ORIGINALS?

NoraAdrienne(at)gmail(dot)com

Barbara E. said...

I love the Kitty/Alien series, it's amazing. I'm looking forward to checking out Alexander Outland: Space Pirate, because I know it's going to become another favorite.

Barbed1951 at aol dot com

Gini Koch said...

@Anne - many Jamie questions are answered (and many more questions arise ;-D).

@Nora-Adrienne - you just want to make me drool with envy, don't you? LOL

@Barbara - I know you're gonna love the Outland. He's your kind of guy. :-D

Mary Ann said...

Eagerly awaiting Alien diplomacy, and knowing that Kitty will pull it off in her own estimable way. She will save lives and the planet and perhaps some other alien species along the way. Now I have to read Outland...sounds like my kinda book.

Jess said...

I have recently discovered Kitty's world. I am loving every minute of all her adventures! I too can't wait to read Alexander Outland: Space Pirate. I look forward to new characters and places!

Denise Z said...

You ever have those days where you wake up and everything is just . . . Blah Blah Blal LOL you are so right this is Much Cheaper Than Therapy and loads of more fun. Visit a book blog, read a fun interview, maybe win a good book - Thank you for making me smile. I so enjoy stalking, I mean following you and finding awesome new sites like this one.
@ZDz59001

Gini Koch said...

@Mary Ann - oh, you know Kitty never lets things like the rules get in her way. ;-D I do think if you like Kitty you'll love the Outland.

@Jess - welcome to the Alien Collective! And enjoy the Outland and his crew!

@Denise - {HUGS} on the day and glad I could help. And never apologize, never hide - I LURVE my stalker fans! :-D

Natalia J said...

Yay!! Thanks for the interview I am still in the first book and I love it I am glad that Kitty turns out better than I thought, I can't wait to read the other books of the series and Alexander Outland: Space Pirate.

bn100 said...

Great interview! The books all sound very good.

bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

Stephanie said...

I'm halfway through Touched by an Alien and I'm loving it!

Skk25@aol.com

Tina Swayzee McCright said...

With summer coming Phoenix already feels like Hell's Orientation. And you do work your butt off. I'm hoping for a rain storm soon so I can curl up with your book.

Gini Koch said...

@Natalia - so glad you're enjoying the book! Hurry and get caught up -- December's not that far away, and June is even closer. :-D

@bn - thanks! They're the best books ever and cheap at twice the price! (Hey, you really can never blame a girl for trying. ;-D)

@Stephanie - so glad you're enjoying it!

@Tina - wow. A rain storm? Here? (You don't actually want to read my bookie wookie, do you? LOL) Well, I suppose the monsoons count. Of course, they also blow out power...well, reading by candlelight is sexy, right?

Tina Swayzee McCright said...

I was thinking it was supposed to rain this week and that is my favorite time to read a good book. :)

Gini Koch said...

@Tina - Oooh, nice recovery! LOL {HUGS} No rain seems to be coming, but I can spray water at you when we're at Desert Dreams...will that count? ;-D