Sunday, May 22, 2011

Overcoming Hurdles




This evening, my fiance (The Irish Charmer)

and I were watching the movie My Big Fat Greek
Wedding.
In one touching scene, the main character,

Toula, is discussing the future with her brother.

He says, "Don't let your past dictate who you are,

but let it be part of who you will become."


Since that quote hit both of us,

I decided to pass it along. The brother claims it

came from Dear Abby. I don't know if that is true,

but it sounded like something she might have said.


As writers, this quote could tell you to let the pass

go. If you received rejections or harsh criticism

from contest judges or critique partners, learn

from it and let it go. Don't let negativity keep you

from writing and submitting. It could also mean

to let your childhood or past relationships go.

If someone was cruel to you or you loved them and

they still left you, let it go. You took with those

experiences emotions that will help you as a writer,

but don't let them trap you in the past

and keep you from writing.


Each day you wake up, decide what your goal is

and work to accomplish the baby steps that will

help you achieve that goal. You are the only

one keeping you back.


Until next week,

happy writing!

Tina LaVon









1 comment:

LilMissMolly said...

I'm terrible at remembering quotes and who said them, but I heard one once that was something like: Don't fret about the small stuff. If it bothers you, change the things you can control and if you can't don't worry about it and move on! I've been living by that motto for many years now and life (and my sleepless nights) are much better for it!