Sunday, September 5, 2010

Staying Sane in Changing Times


You just typed, "The End." Now what?

The publishing world isn't what it looked like a couple of years ago. We've known purchasing books online would be a growing trend, but few of us realized just how fast that future would arrive. Amazon is selling The Kindle. Barnes and Noble has their Nook. And I'm sure there are countless other varieties of ebook readers I haven't even seen advertised yet.

Recently Dorchester announced they are switching mainly to epublishing. Who next? As the market for print books decreases, it leaves many writers with a sense of unease. If your dream is to reach the masses with a print book and reach The New York Times list, you might wonder if it will become even more difficult to see that dream come true.

All I know is our world is changing quickly. Change is often frightening, but it is inevitable. We can choose to fight it, embrace it, or have a wait and see attitude. I tend to do a little of all three.

I am putting the final touches on my latest manuscript and am a bit nervous about whether or not it will be harder to sell this book. On the other hand, I am a big believer in The Power of Positive Thinking and The Law of Attraction. My plan is to have faith that my books will find homes, believe it, visualize it, and continue to write while I wait to see what the universe has in store for me. After all, writing is my bliss. I write because I have to. It fulfills me. Plus, I have made many wonderful friends through my writing organizations. No matter what happens financially, I feel blessed to have found my calling and to share my life with so many generous, amazing people.

I can't tell you what to do, but I hope you won't lose sleep over these changing times. Continue to write and have faith. It's been my experience that everything works out for the best and everything happens for a reason. I hope you will find that to be true too.

Until next week,
Happy Writing!
Tina LaVon

No comments: