Friday, October 9, 2009

Interview with Linda Wisdom

I’d like to welcome our guest today, Linda Wisdom. It’s a pleasure having you come visit us at Much Cheaper Than Therapy, where chocolate is plentiful and advice is free. So grab some chocolate and a lounge chair. Your therapy session has begun.

Thank you for having me and oooh! Bordeaux chocolates from See’s. You know me so well and this lounge chair is very comfy. This is my idea of therapy! (We aim to please!KW)

I understand you have a new release out called Hex in
High Heels. Can you tell us a little bit about your fabulous new book?

It’s probably easier to use the blurb from the book. Blair loves running her vintage shop and hanging out with witchy friends Stasi and Jazz. She's forever had a crush on hunky carpenter Jake Harrison, whose Were nature (he's a Border collie) makes him loyal, lovable, and fierce when need be. Just as sparks are beginning to fly, Blair is served with a big surprise when Jake's mother shows up along with his pack leader, who threatens to make Jake heel! When the alpha does the unthinkable, Blair is pushed over the edge. No one messes with her boyfriend-to-be, even if he does shed on the furniture!

Hex in High Heels is a very interesting title. How did you arrive at that name?

I love the title too. My editor came up with it.

What made you decide to write in this genre?

I’ve always loved paranormal books and wrote my first one back in 1988 and wrote several others after that. I like to call that working up to what I’m writing now.

Where did you get your idea for this particular book?

I first knew it would be about Blair and Jake, how their romance unfolds, and that his mother would get into the act. The grungy elves turned out to be a bonus. My ideas tend to pop up into my head almost fully formed. But it’s still not easy, because I always have blanks to fill in.

What are your favorite paranormal research books or sites, and why?

Yasmine Galenorn’s Embracing the Moon, Totem Magic, I also have a variety books on creatures and spells along with books on ghosts.

Which character did you like writing about the most, and why?

Not easy since I really love them all even the creatures. Jazz was the beginning, so I’d say her. There’s a lot of me in Jazz, although she’s taller. :}

Tell us about how you develop your characters. Do you create character sheets, do interviews, that sort of thing? How does your research and/or world affect your character development?

It sounds crazy but it’s as if the characters tell me about themselves. There’s been times when I’ve worked on a book and I go in another direction and I’m told “no way, so this or else” and I do.

How do you go about building your world if you use one? Do you use maps, charts or drawings?

My world is pretty much the one we have except the supernatural community is a part of it. Many humans are aware of them, some refuse to believe their existence.

Do you have any authors that inspired you?

I think inspiration comes in many forms, Yasmine Galenorn, Kimberly Raye, Julie Kenner, Terey Garey, Stephanie Evanovich.

What do you feel is the most effective promotion you have done for your book?

I don’t know if I’ve come up with one just yet. I do fun promotional items such as hexy body lotion and body wash and broom pens. But I’m always looking for someone new.

What do we have to look forward next?

Maggie, who you’ll meet in Hex in High Heels, is the next book. Kick ass witch who works security, a sexy half fire demon and Mayans intent on taking over the world. Just another day in hexy land.

Thanks, Linda!

To celebrate her book release, Linda is offering a signed copy of Hex in High Heels to one lucky commenter on today's blog. (please check the blog Monday night to see who won. Chances of winning determined by the number of entries.)

She will be around all day today. I'm sure some of you have questions or comments for her, so please ask away...

Check out author’s website at www.lindawisdom.com

Buy http://www.amazon.com/Hex-High-Heels-Linda-Wisdom/dp/1402218192/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253625364&sr=1-1.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good morning Linda. Thanks for joining us today. Hope it's not too early for the chocolate. I love the title of your book. It conjures up some pretty interesting thoughts. So were there any scenes or characters that you or your editor took out for the final draft?

Linda Wisdom said...

Hi Kim, thanks for having me!

There is an opening scene that I've posted on my blog. My editor cut it but I loved it so much I call it a DVD extra.

Linda

CrystalGB said...

Hi Linda. Great interview. Hex in High Heels sounds good.

Estella said...

Hex In High Heels sounds great!

Liana Laverentz said...

Welcome to Much Cheaper Than Therapy, Linda! I got a box of See's chocolates in the mail yesterday. A lovely surprise! I see Rae Monet did your website, too! Isn't she awesome?

I wish you the best of luck with your books!

Liana Laverentz
www.lianalaverentz.com

Carolyn Brown said...

Hey Linda,
I seldom read paranormal but this sounds really cute!
Love the cover and the title. If that doesn't catch lots of eyes on the shelf then there's a lot of blind women out there!
Carolyn Brown
www.carolynlbrown.com
Lucky in Love, Sept. 1, 2009
One Lucky Cowboy, Nov. 1, 2009
Getting Lucky, Jan. 1, 2010

Cara Marsi said...

Linda,

I love the title, and your story sounds like wicked fun. I also love See's chocolates. I think they've just begun to sell them here on the East Coast, but I "discovered" them when I visited my sister in California. Great interview. To me, the best world in paranormals is our own world, just a little different.

Carolyn Matkowsky/Cara Marsi
www.caramarsi.com

Mary said...

Looking forward to reading Hex in High Heels. It's sounds like a fun read.

Unknown said...

Hi Linda,

It's fun to get to know you here at MCTT. Thanks for the great interview. Love your title and can't wait to read the book. Hope to get the chance to meet you someday at a conference. Now I have to go find your blog and read the DVD extra.

Linda Wisdom said...

Thanks Crystal & Estella!

Linda

Linda Wisdom said...

Very cool Liana! I would have stopped by my See's before I left for my conference but no time.

I love Rae and what she came up with.

Linda

Linda Wisdom said...

Thanks Carolyn.

I hope I can persuade you to give magick a try.

Linda

Linda Wisdom said...

ooh Carolyn, wicked fun works!

I'm s See's Bordeauxaholic.

Linda

Linda Wisdom said...

Thanks Mary!

Linda

Linda Wisdom said...

Thanks Tia!

Linda

Linda Andrews said...

Hi Linda,

I loved the interview and Jazz's story. I am glad to see you are continuing their fun and wonderful world and the characters. I look forward to reading this new installment and not just because we share the same name. Big grin.

Linda Wisdom said...

Hi Linda!

Thanks. As long as my readers stick with me, I hope my publisher will continue to buy the witches.

I love writing them!

Linda