Friday, May 2, 2008

Interview with Loretta Rogers


I’d like to welcome our guest today, Loretta Rogers. It’s a pleasure having you come visit us at Much Cheaper Than Therapy, where chocolate is plentiful and advice is free. So grab some chocolate and a lounge chair. Your therapy session has begun.

Thank you for inviting me. I’m excited to here, and believe me I need all the therapy I can get, so bring on the chocolate.

My pleasure. I hope you like dark. (KW)

I understand you have a new release out called, THE TWISTED TRAIL . Can you tell us a little bit about your fabulous new book?

I’m really excited about this novel. Not only is it a Western, but it’s a Western that takes place east of the Mississippi. Most publishers prefer this type story take place West of the Mississippi. The Twisted Trail is set in 1840 in both Florida and Georgia, when gold was discovered on Cherokee lands.

THE TWISTED TRAIL is a very interesting title. How did you arrive at that name?

The plot is a race between two freight line owners to see who will out smart the other to be the first to get their supplies over a twisted trail to a bunch of starving gold miners in the Georgia mountains.

Did you have to do a lot of research for the book?

Although a native Floridian who lived in Georgia for several years, yes, I did quite a bit of research. Even though the novel is fiction, I wanted to make certain my facts were correct.

What character did you like writing about the most, and why?

Most writers might choose the hero, but I actually like Joe Panther. Part Seminole Indian, he calls himself a white man’s woods colt. Joe Panther has a rather dry sense of humor that comes across as funny.

If your book was made into a movie, what actor would you like to fill your hero’s shoes?

When I begin a novel, I always try to envision which actors might play my characters, and that includes the villain. However, I think either Jim Caviezel or Christian Bale would play the part of hero, Matt Logan very well. Both are tall and have that rugged masculinity about them that is needed for heroes of western movies.

Do you have any authors that inspired you?

Jackie Collins once said that every person has at least one good book in them. I always wanted to write, but doubted myself. When I heard her make this statement, I decided to ‘go for it.’ I’ve been fortunate to have two books out, ISABELLE AND THE OUTLAW, published by The Wild Rose Press, released December, 2007, and was on the publisher’s best seller’s list for several weeks.

What do we have to look forward next?

Currently, I have another Western under consideration by Avalon Books, and a historical western inspirational under consideration by The Wild Rose Press. I’m keeping my fingers crossed. You know how we writers love getting those contracts.

I can agree with that. (KW)

Thanks, Loretta!

Bio.
When not writing, Loretta and her husband take trips on their Suzuki motorcycle. As a child, Loretta used to sneak her father’s Zane Grey and Louie L’Amour Westerns from his sock drawer. Thus grew her love for cowboys, horses and the old west. Winner of the Marjorie Kinnan Rawlins Writing Award, she is also multi-published with Dorchester Media. She also writes under the pseudonym – L. W. Rogers.

Check out Loretta’s website at http://www.lorettacrogersbooks.com/

Buy ISABELLE AND THE OUTLAW at http://www.thewildrosepress.com/ or THE TWISTED TRAIL at http://www.avalonbooks.com/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Loretta,
Thanks for interviewing with us today. Have a great weekend.

H.D. Thomson said...

Hi, Loretta. Your book sounds really interesting, and what an original idea! East of the Mississippi. I can't wait to read it.