Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Everyday Heroes


It's been a long while since I posted a hero of the month, but I've been watching the news lately and with cyclones, earth quakes and general, every day violent crime, I thought it was too long since my last hero.

I decided to pick someone that has been stabbed, shot at and been generally overlooked in the public eye. After all what can a dog do, right?

Well, it seems a lot. Especially if you’re a police dog named Anya. Without her bravery, her dog handler, officer Neil Sampson, might very well be dead. Sampson tried to fight off a frenzied attack from a knife-welding assailant. With four knife wounds to his legs and long cuts to his face and head, he would have been a lot worse if Anay hadn’t fought off his assailant despite being stabbed in the chest herself.

Anay and Neil Sampson have made a full recovery.

"Anya's a very motivated, fast dog,” says Sampson. “She's like a jack-in-the-box on Red Bull. "She's full on, but, my God, I'm happy she's mine.''


Thank you Anya and all the dog handlers out there who train these remarkable dogs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this one. We often forget about the heroism of dogs whether they work with the police departments or search and recue.