Monday, October 15, 2007

Interview with Carrie Weaver

I’d like to welcome our guest author today, Carrie Weaver. It’s a pleasure having you come visit us at Much Cheaper Than Therapy, where chocolate is plentiful and advice is free. So grab some chocolate and a lounge chair. Your therapy/interview session has begun.


I understand you have a new release out called Temporary Nanny. Can you tell us a little bit about your fabulous new book for Harlequin Superromance?

Katy Garner is a struggling single mom, trying to balance her career with raising her son. Royce McIntyre is trying to find meaning in a life altered by an accident. When their lives intersect, they are challenged to find the courage to accept love on terms they never anticipated.

Temporary Nanny is a very interesting title. How did you arrive at that name?

The hero, Royce McIntyre, is recovering from a welding accident and considering his career options when he starts receiving mysterious messages from his ten year-old upstairs neighbor, Jake Garner. Royce gets to know Jake’s mom, Katy, and offers to help her out of a bind by becoming Jake’s nanny on a temporary basis.

Did you have to do a lot of research for the book?

Since Royce was an expatriate living in Russia during the prologue, I wanted to know more about the expat lifestyle. Jack Swanson, father of fellow Super author, Jeannie Watt, lived and worked in Russia and was gracious enough to fill in some details. I also did online research regarding Royce’s injury.

What character did you like writing about the most, and why?

Jake Garner was fun to write because he’s a kid and they’re by nature very egocentric. But my editor thought he initially came across as slightly, um, bratty, so I had to tone his attitude down a bit. As a single mom myself, I could totally relate to many of Katy Garner’s challenges.

If your book was made into a movie, what actor would you like to fill your hero’s shoes?

Owen Wilson would be great.

Do you have any authors that inspired you?

There are so many terrific authors who have given me a helping hand, especially in the Desert Rose Chapter of RWA. Roz Denny Fox and Linda Style were a great help in my early days getting published with Harlequin Superromance.

What do we have to look forward next?

I have a Harlequin NASCAR series book, A CHANCE WORTH TAKING, coming out in November. And in March, 2008, another Superromance entitled BABY, I’M YOURS. Both books are great fun!


Thanks, Carrie!

Carrie's Bio

Readers and reviewers alike praise Carrie Weaver’s books for their emotional depth and realistic characters. “Each page comes alive with joy and sadness,” says reviewer Pat Wilson, Rendezvous magazine. Her awards include nominations for the prestigious RITA Award, the Bookseller’s Best and the Romantic Times BOOKreviews Reviewers’ Choice.

Check out Carrie’s website at http://www.carrieweaver.com/

5 comments:

Roz Denny Fox said...

Hey, Carrie. I dropped in on Kim's request, but I had no idea I helped influence you in your writing career. Cool.
I just bought the book. Can't wait to read it now that I can picture Owen Wilson in the hero's shoes.
Nascar and another SuperR---no wonder you've had that dazed look the last couple of times I've seen you. Great interview. Love the site.
Roz

Anonymous said...

What fun running into Carrie AND Roz AND Linda all in one interview -- not to mention a great-sounding nanny!

Laurie, wishing I had a son young enough to need Jake...hmm, maybe I could borrow a kid? :)

Carrie Weaver said...

Roz, thanks for stopping in -- and picking up TEMPORARY NANNY! I've always loved your characters and aspired early on to create warm, believable characters like yours. And goodness knows, you've talked me down off of many a writing ledge since then! You are my hero!
Carrie

Carrie Weaver said...

Hey, Laurie, you are my public speaking hero! Laurie gives the best writing workshops, with lots of practical tips. And she has a book on the subject, too. Maybe she'll stop back in and remind me of the title. And I agree -- Royce is the ultimate nanny. Too bad my kids are past that stage....
Carrie

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping in ladies and for the comments on the site. Sigh, I wish I could have a nanny like that. Of course, I'd have to lose the husband first. Roz and Laurie, I aspire to write like both of you, and Laurie, I have a few kids you could borrow for a bit.
Kim