Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Thoughts for the Day

When I first started writing, I’d hear people ask what my theme was. I hadn’t a clue. I was too focused on all the techniques to make my writing better. But now I see how much a theme is woven into a book, even if it isn’t intentional by the author. I’ve been doing it in my stories for years and not really realizing it.


Lately, whenever I start a book, I search for a quote to inspire me. It also always highlights the theme of my story.


One of my favorite quotes that I’m using for a book I’m working on right now is about being a hero. I’ll read the quote each time I start writing, and I think of my hero and how much those words relate to him.


“True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.” – Arthur Ashe


I think theme is a natural extension of a writer as they try to get their story on paper. And as for being a hero… I have yet to find a better quote when I think of a hero.


Have a great day everyone!